Before you start
Working with cultural differences requires sensitivity.
We recommend you review our slide presentation to prepare for this topic. The slides are designed to help you to:
- understand how your own culture influences what and how you teach
- identify elements of curriculum that may raise values-based issues
- identify the possible tensions that young people of non-mainstream cultures may face in delivery of RRE curriculum
- view research about healthy masculinities
- identify teaching strategies that create a safe and respectful classroom.
The lesson plans below build on existing respectful relationships education over several bands of schooling.
Years 7 and 8
Respect, gender and power
This lesson plan aims to support understandings of how influences such as media and individual cultures might impact on attitudes to gender roles, respect and power.
Respect in groups
This lesson plan aims to support understandings of how groups function, how people respond under stress and what helps create a cohesive society.
Years 9 and 10
Out of the box
This lesson plan explores the impact of gender and identity on students. Students are asked to consider the social norms and expectations that are placed on different genders.